Sunday, September 11, 2011

Zookeeper Jayne

My Zoo Adventure:

Yesterday I volunteered at the St. Louis Zoo with the Children's hospital and hung out next to this guy all day:


He's a charming young man-a 17 year old Sumatran orangutan named Robbie.  I got to stand next to him (glass between us, of course) and talk to kids about fruits and vegetables.  Robbie's diet is primarily vegetarian and he eats a lot of fruits and veggies so it was an easy way to get kids excited/talking about their favorite fruits and vegetables.  One kid told me his favorite vegetable was his sister.  Kids say the darndest things.  Fun day!



In other news...

Grace came to visit me over labor day weekend and she brought along a little surprise....LEVI! I had no idea he was coming.  Grace got to my house around 3:30am and asked if I could help her unload her car.  
Half asleep I agreed and walked over to the car.  Upon opening the door I detected a map that appeared slightly out of place.  I lifted up the map to find LEVI huddled up underneath with a giant smile on his face.  It was a great surprise!  

We went to the Japanese festival at the Botanical Gardens while they were here-it was beautiful and very interesting...sumo wrestlers and people dressed in anime attire.  


Giant Sumo Man


Floating Glass Art


Stretch the Sumo!


Internship update:

I'm done with my outpatient counseling and diabetes rotation! 3 very interesting weeks.  I actually feel much smarter now so I can be happy about that.  My next rotation is the Medical Intensive Care Unit rotation where I'll be working in an acute care setting with patients who have pancreatitis, liver disease & diseases of the GI tract and contributing my "expert" opinion of the appropriate nutrition and diet interventions.  


I get to watch several procedures which will be cool- a colonoscopy, endoscopy, and possibly even removal of part of the colon or small intestine.  I am praying that I don't pass out.  I'll keep you all posted:)


No comments:

Post a Comment